Minority Civic Initiative



Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Speaker Update

OK, so I realize I have yet to finish the minutes below, but here's what's going on right now:

Mr. Wu has requested a speaker fee of $8500, which I am afraid is not feasible for us. Nor practical. So Priscilla and I will be meeting this afternoon to discuss alternatives. We're eyeing a group called 80-20 Initiative:
80-20 is a national, nonpartisan, Political Action Committee dedicated to winning equal opportunity and justice for all Asian Americans through a SWING bloc vote, ideally directing 80% of our community's votes and money to the presidential candidate endorsed by the 80-20, who better represents the interests of all APAs. Hence, the name "80-20" was created. (80-20 Initiative Web site)
We're also eyeing APIA Vote, a group that I think suits our purpose quite well:

Our Mission: The Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote) is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels.

APIAVote Vision:
APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian Pacific Islander Americans fully participate in and have access to the democratic process. (APIAVote Web site)
What do you guys think?

(OK, I know, you're all swamped with finals--I know, I took one at 8 this morning myself and it was killer--so no one is reading this now, but if someone does perchance stumble upon this, I'd love for your feedback.)

1 comment:

the apple said...

you can't put a price tag on civil participation and quality speakers...

just kidding. 8,500 dollars might be stretching it.

I'm so glad to know we have a dedicated person working on this site during finals :)